Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Boxcar Astronaut...


Boxcar Astronaut, created by Marc Lapierre and Jeff Carter, follows the backyard adventures of two kids named Devin and Ben, a dog named Diogee, and a real Robot named simply Robot. Updates come every Sunday.

The art in Boxcar is excellent. Super sharp and not a line is out of place. I can truly say this is some of the best cartoon style art I've seen in a webcomic, with distinctive characters and a fluid style that could easily be translated to animation. I would love to see what Marc could do with something other than a backyard setting. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing an occasional color comic. It just screams "color"! Not to say that it isn't fine in black and white though, because it would fit perfectly in the funny papers.

The writing wasn't great at first but after the first six or seven Jeff fell into a groove and the situations got increasingly better. I really liked the "sudoku Diogee" strip. There is a nice mix of humor that reminded me of, and I'll bet they've heard this before, Calvin and Hobbes, but not to a copycat degree. It has a style all it's own and I applaud it.

This was a short review because the comic is still in it's infancy. I can see collected volumes of Boxcar Astronaut in the future, tshirts, lunchboxes.....okay, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but you get the idea. Really good comic with very few negatives. Launch on over to Boxcar Astronaut and have a robotic good time!

I give Boxcar Astronaut...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

Jeff Carter said...

Hey Jack, I just wanted to say I was really excited to see you reviwed our comic! I've been a big fan of the site for a while now, so it's great to see Boxcar Astronaut get the "Monkey treatment". Thanks for the kind words, please keep reading!

Joe Chiappetta said...

Thanks for bringing this comic to my attention. The panel you showed is stellar. It is nice to read honest yet respectful reviews in which the reviewer is not mad at the world or trying to prove how clever they are. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Thanks Joe! I try to be exactly what you said: honest and respectful, while adding a little humor at times. Keep reading!