Monday, March 26, 2007

Zoology........


Zoology, created by Nathan Birch, centers around a zoo filled with the usual assortment of critters held in captivity for our amusement. The difference being that we get to see what life is like behind the cages as characters the likes of Ernest P. Ape, Angsty the Octopus and Detective Chomps grace us with their adventures. The animals get equal treatment when it comes to being featured in the comic, as well as do the keepers of the zoo.


Artwise the comic is very well drawn and the lettering fits the comic perfectly. Backgrounds are used sparsely but it doesn't really have any negative impact. I also prefer that it isn't in color, because this comic looks like it would fit in very well in the funny pages of your favorite newspapers(maybe it could knock Garfield outta there). Of course, it's occasional use to enhance a strip works wonders. Color definitely has it's place here. Perhaps a Sunday color comic? Just a thought........

Writing jokes can sometimes be tricky, but on this point most of the comics hit their mark, with only a few not following through. I like the fact that he can do a sentimental story and then follow it with Chomps eating everything in his path. Variety is welcome! A minor quip would be that I found more than a couple of spelling errors, but with such a large archive that should probably be expected. It happens to the best of us, doesn't it? A few more visits from the outside world would be welcome as well. I don't know if it's just me but I would like to see more visitors and how they react to the zoo creatures. As a whole though the writing is high quality and on a level with the top comics out there, in my opinion.

I recommend Zoology because it's a very well written and nicely drawn comic that deserves success. I could even see an animated series for this one. Imagine Ernest P. Ape taking calls on your television, voiced by Kelsey Grammar! Okay okay, I'm getting ahead of myself. Go to the link and check out Zoology for yourself. I think you'll enjoy it.

This comic is...Highly Recommended

No comments: