Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Todays review: Samurai Pride...


I don't know if Samurai Pride falls into the "furry" category, but Jack Delong has created a comic set 3000 years in the future where "Animons", genetically altered animals, rule the planet but also war against each other. In Jack's own words, and it would make a great tagline, "It’s the same planet, but a whole new world!" Samurai Pride updates, well, erratically?

I was immediately drawn in by the detail of the art and the bright shiny color palette in Pride. The characters are all distinct with their own unique designs and poses, etc. Jack really excels in this area and it helps the comic stand apart from a lot of mediocre sites out there. The backgrounds and settings all create a sense that they really are in this future world, and I was taken back to The Thundercats for some reason. These characters have "toy line" written all over them. I can see a Sabre with Kung Fu grip in my mind already! I just really enjoyed the art. Nothing bad here.

The story was quickly set up and wasn't awkward or uninviting at all. I hate when comics take forever to drop little crumbs of story, which they think adds to the mystery, but tends to make this reader lose interest. Pride throws you in the middle of a vast world with a battle between good and evil and kept my interest pretty high throughout, and it's still early in it's run. I did find some of the dialogue a little cliche, as it I had heard it many times before, but it didn't take away from the experience too much. It was like in superhero comic books when teams go in for action and yell, "Hit em hard and fast!!" You still love watching the fight, but wish they would come up with something new. And I know this goes with what I said about the toyline, but it felt like I was reading a Saturday morning cartoon ala TMNT, Thundercats, Transformers, etc. Not that it's a bad thing though, because it means that the comic is an easy read that's not hard on the brain or eyes.

I really enjoyed Samurai Pride. It's a very professional comic with beautiful visuals and a pretty well laid out story that seems to know where it's headed. It does have a sense of being made to be commercially viable, but what's wrong with that? We're not all in this just to have a hobby. I would love to make this a full time job. Here's hoping that Pride becomes successful enough for Jack to keep a decent schedule and keep gaining new readers, because I feel this comic is going places. He can definitely be proud about Pride. Heh. I made a funny.

I give Samurai Pride...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

5 comments:

JTorch said...

I do believe that that is the first half-chimp yet to be seen.

Unknown said...

It is. I had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to give SP, so I decided it was time for a halfchimp. I couldn't get rid of that nasty gray though. Meh.

Mutt said...

Hi Jack,
Thanks for the positive review, I'm really glad you liked it. My updating does suck but I'm hoping to get back on a regular schedule sometime soon. in the meantime, I'll keep working on my dialog! :)

Thanks Again,
Jack "Mutt" DeLong

wecrosscreek said...

I completely agree. SP is awesome. There is only one thing missing from your review about Jack... he is one of the nicest guys creating webcomics today! he puts a lot of time, and effort in his pages and it shows.

Unknown said...

Well, I don't know him on a personal level, but maybe we'll all get to know him, as I will eventually be asking him to do an interview for the site. I hope he agrees!