Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Todays Review: Chain Bear...


Chain Bear, created by Lauren Farnsworth & Stuart Taylor, incorporates varying one-off ponderings and recurring characters such as Big City Moose and the Chain Bear as mentioned in the title to create a sort of off-kilter relationship with the reader. Yeah. This little ditty is updated every weekday, "if all goes well".

There are many different styles to the art here, which I enjoyed very much. I saw a few I would like to make a tshirt out of, they were that interesting to look at. Not to say that it's just fun webcomic art. A lot is being said in the more introspective comics without even using words. There is a lot of pain and loneliness conveyed, as well as complete nonsense and an overall feeling of uneasiness. I can totally see most of these comics being exhibited at a gallery somewhere. Think about it.

Again, as with the art, the writing makes me feel exactly the way the art did. A little uneasy and a bit morose. There aren't any easy laughs to be found, and I don't think that was the idea in the first place. Gag comic this ain't. The closest thing to a straitforward strip was Big City Moose, but they decided to do away with him,
and I wonder if that is the exact reason why. Personally I think he could have his own strip, but that's just my opinion. Bear made me think a lot more than most comics which rely on punchlines and wacky adventures to pull you in. This was more like a therapy session, only with bears. I know some people might say I'm thinking too hard here, but hey, you might get something else entirely out of your experience. I wonder if Lauren or Stuart are psychiatrists by day....hmm...

I really liked Chain Bear. If you're looking for something more than just a quick comic fix, you should definitely take the time to read it. It's probably not for everyone, because not everyone is looking for a comic that makes them think too much. It was a welcome change of pace for me and I hope it will be for others. I will say that it was a bit all over the place and some won't have the patience for it. Chain Bear might just be ahead of it's time.

I give Chain Bear...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(For originality, stylistic art and thought provoking material)

No comments: