Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Quarter Four....


Quarter Four is a comic by Saadat Bari about four college roommates named Bry, Dwak, Saadji and Jay and their daily struggles with everything from girls to hairstyles gone wrong. The archive is 48 pages long and it updates on Mondays.

Artwise this comic is very well done. The artist does a good job with a wide range of facial expressions making for a very human feel missing from a lot of webcomics. Also backgrounds are plentiful, giving you a nice sense of the environment they live in. The art only gets better with each comic, from the beginning with it's more rigid sharp lines to the latest comics with their rounded softer look. I liked the coloring and shading as well, which lends a very professional look to Quarter Four.

The humor has a nice subtlety to it, almost as if he doesn't wish to beat us over the head with bad jokes and obvious situational comedy. It reminds me of independent films I've seen that don't have huge payoffs, but sort of just calmly play out and continue offscreen long after the movie ends. The only thing I can say negative is that it felt a bit dull at times, but this isn't an action comic or even a wacky roommates one. Don't get me wrong though, I got quite a few smiles out of my stroll through the archives.

In closing I would have to say that I enjoyed Quarter Four for it's quality art and kind tone. I recommend it to anyone looking for something a little off the beaten path. Of course, it won't be everyones cup of tea, or coffee, or beverage of choice, but hey, what is?

This comic is...Recommended

No comments: