Tuesday, April 3, 2007

One-liners....


I have a pretty decent sense of humor, if I do say so myself. I mean, people laugh at me all the time. Even when I'm NOT telling jokes. Hmm....maybe I should re-evaluate that last line. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is I appreciate all types of humor, whether it's tongue-in-cheek, gag, g-rated or even gross out. It all has a place in the pantheons of comedy. Sanford and Son? Cmon, that was the s*$?!! I just wanted to let you know that I have an open mind. Now, to the review....

One-liners has got to be the most offensive webcomic out there, at least that I've seen. Written by Shishio and illustrated by someone who goes by the initial -U!, the main character is named after the writer, so I take it that these are some of his musings and maybe even things that have happened to him. There really is no storyline to speak of, but that's fine as each comic stands on it's own. There are 46 total comics with updates on Fridays.

I like the overall look of the art. -U!'s style is, well, the only thing I can think of is a "depraved Archie". Nice use of thick black strokes(whoa, that didn't sound right) for the foreground gives you a good sense of depth and backgrounds are detailed and plentiful. Also the characters expressions are easy to read and vary greatly. No "smile, frown, surprise" here.

Writing is a strong point in One-liners as the jokes are perfectly timed in most cases and funny as hell more often than not. I honestly choked-up on #14 with it's goth theme, #41 which you'll have to see for yourself, and especially on #45 because my girlfriend's three year old says that EXACT same thing ALL the time. It's hard to explain to a kid you can't outrun a car. Try it sometime! One thing that I thought was a bit off was that it's hard to top one that's really gross but hilarious with a two-panel comic where the characters are just having a conversation. I guess not every one can be a sight gag though. Another thing is that it can't appeal to everyone because of it's sick sense of humor, and I do mean SICK. A Chthulu costume sexathon is comedy gold to me, but may not be to others. I guess it all comes down to your sense of humor here.

I'm going to suggest this comic to anyone who can take a joke for what it is and not get offended easily. I wish more people would say what they really feel and not hide behind political correctness, which to me is a way of saying you're a puss. One-Liners is definitely not a puss. I'm putting this one in my favorites and I think a lot of you will too. Can't wait to see what's next. I would love to see what they have to say about gamers....heh heh....um...not that there is anything wrong with them.


This comic is...Highly Recommended

3 comments:

from Geek Blather said...

The link in the sidebar to "One Liners" is mixed up, the "http://" is repeated, so that it just takes you to a random site hosting place.
I did check out the comic though- and now I have yet another to add to my ranks of comics that I read...
Really hilarious stuff, thanks for reviewing it!

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading it! And thanks for letting me know about the screwed up link. I am ashamed......

from Geek Blather said...

No problem. I mess up coding all the time...