Saturday, April 28, 2007

Office Stix...


Anyone out there seen Office Space? You know, the movie with the guys working in an office, and all of the mundane yet hilarious things that happen there? Yeah, the crazy guy who only wanted his stapler cracks me up every time....sigh. Now to the review.

Office Stix is basically a stick figure version of Office Space, only without the whole hypnotist turns guy who hates his job into a guy who doesn't give a crap whether he gets fired or not and gets a promotion nonsense. It's only seven comics in so this will be a short review. The site doesn't say when it updates.

Artwise, well, Rui(I don't know if that's his/her name but that's what's in his/her email) admits him/herself that the art is less than stellar but is focusing mainly on the jokes, which makes it easier on me. It's praying mantis like stick figures wearing ties standing around in different office settings, such as the cubicle and the water cooler. I've never worked in an office but apparently these are staples. I have to say that I'm just as much into the art of a comic as the writing, and to me they go hand in hand. I wish there was more effort put into the it but it's early in the comics life so I won't say anymore other than that the art will most likely improve as everyone experiments with their art eventually.

The jokes are what the creator says he's focusing on, and that we should too. Well, so far I do believe that a couple of the jokes are good, but out of the seven up so far, four of them miss the mark. I liked #2, #4, and #5. The others just kinda fell flat. Given time I'm sure he/she will figure out what works and what doesn't and bring the funny more often than not. I wonder when he/she will do a copy machine joke....

When it's all said and done, with only seven strips up Office Stix isn't bad but needs some fine tuning. Some top notch jokes will help people forgive the simplistic art, and I'll be checking back on it in time to see what's to come...

I give this comic...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: