Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Scene Language...


I remember days gone by when I would hang out downtown with my friends, riding bikes and doing tricks, going to The Velvet Elvis(local dive bar with lots of rock shows), and drinking cheap beer. I also remember struggling to get out from under my parents iron fists. Scene Language reminds me of those days. Written and drawn by Corie Marie, the comic follows the day to day comings and goings of a group of not-so-enthusiastic young people coping with the present, all the while struggling with the fast approaching future that is adulthood. Updates Monday thru Friday.

This comic has a great art style that I can't say I've seen before. The characters have a sort of doughy look to them that I find pleasant for some odd reason. The backgrounds are also well drawn with nice little touches here and there. Corie cuts no corners as far as I can tell. I did like the overall look of Book 1 more than Book 2 however, as the coloring is much brighter and Book 2 looks like it's a comic book that has been scanned in and the images not sharpened, resulting in a dull drab look. Overall though the art is very nice and the I did love the coloring job done in Book 1.

I always find it odd when a comic is drawn in a cartoony style, yet is written as a drama. It just doesn't fit well to me. Not to say Scene Language is total soap opera, but it leans pretty heavily toward it. There is humor, but it is downplayed to focus on the relationships and real life situations, which the writer has a talent for displaying. I've dealt with one or two of these things myself, so I was able to relate, which is always good for the reader. I just can't help but wish there was more humor to go with the art style though.

I recommend Scene Language for anyone out there who is struggling with finding themselves and going though ups and downs in their relationships, etc. Corie Marie finds humor in these things and maybe it will help you in some way, who knows? A good comic that will remind you of those nights when you had one too many shots and maybe cheated on your girlfriend and then tried to cover it up all while trying to get your band signed to a label......

I give this comic...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: