Saturday, April 7, 2007

Patchwork Champions...

Patchwork Champions is a sprite comic featuring a wide variety of superheroes ranging from an all duct-tape hero named HandyMan to a surfboard riding superguy calling himself DudeMan. Problems and humor abound as the heroes face off against villains
and their own interteam conflicts. Updates are typically Monday through Friday.

Since I haven't read a lot of sprite comics(actually, this if my first one), I'll have to fall back on my knowledge of old 8-bit games, such as Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda. I used to kick Koopa ass with one hand while eating a happy meal with the other. Champions Takes me back to those days gone by, when things were much simpler, and emo hadn't yet reared it's whiny head. With that being said (forget the emo part) I like the "art" for the nostalgia reasons above. Even though I far prefer traditional hand drawn comics, I suppose sprite based art takes a certain level of talent to pull off as well, and gives even the drawing-challenged out there with a story to tell a way to express themselves.

I've always loved reading superhero comics, especially when they have "hero-drives" to find new members. While it is overused, the writer makes it feel fresh and gets plenty of jokes from it's use. The stories are pretty thin, and the characters tend to blend together at times, but that's excusable when the jokes are this well put together. I got plenty of smiles thinking about if the big Marvel and DC teams deal with things like this behind the scenes.

Overall I did enjoy Patchwork Champions for it's simplistic nature and pretty solid writing. I don't really know the audience for sprite comics, but if you want a superhero Clerks minus the cursing, give it a chance and decide for yourself.

I give this comic...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: