Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Bullet Points...


I rock. Hard. Or at least my mom told me that once. When I was fifteen or so. Anyway, the idea behind The Bullet Points is that a business has opened that helps offices, well, rock. Yeah, I don't get it either. Created by Neal Moffitt and Jason Viola, I think, because the site is set up as an actual business, comedy abounds in an office setting every Monday.

I'm a sucker for a clean and neatly drawn strip that feels ready made for the newspapers, and Points is such a comic. It does feel a little plain at times with backgrounds existing of a desk or a picture of a banana on the wall, but more often than not the overall quality of the art more than makes up for it. Also, I'm not sure if he would even consider it because a lot of comics have a theme and seem to stick to it obsessively, but a comic once and awhile outside or maybe even with the characters out to lunch would break up the monotony. Of course, he could always plead the case that it's a comic about people at their job, which happens to take place in an office, but it was just a suggestion.

Coming across as a mix of Dilbert and a short lived NBC sitcom called Working, the jokes are for the most part spot-on, with an occasional lackluster one thrown in for good measure. The can't all be gems, or even shiny smooth pebbles. The one with Fred Durst of Limp Bizcrap attempting to get hired was awesome, as were most of the rock stars needing publicity strips. The only major problem I seem to have with The Bullet Points is...what exactly is their job? They help offices rock. It makes no sense to me. Maybe it's meant to be vague to be funny, but I would rather have some sort of explanation, because I find it kind of corny. It seems like eventually they will box themselves into a corner if they don't show them actually doing some work, but ah well. Aside from that, solid writing, good characterization, odd job.

Site design is nice and bright and there is plenty to see. One thing that I haven't seen on any other webcomic site is an actual cd based on the comic. I found that to be totally original and a great extra for readers and now listeners. Songs such as "I need staples" and "Who used my mug?" are funny and do rock, as the comic suggests. Also there is a store where you can purchase a tshirt or an office mug, and of course the cd.

I have to say that The Bullet Points left me with a feeling of mild satisfaction, like eating an apple when I'm hungry. It's good and all, but I could have used a hamburger to go with it. Tastes great, less filling. If you enjoy light comedic fare on par with a Dilbert in tone but with more pop culture references, you'll enjoy The Bullet Points. If I could work in an office, I would definitely put in an application there. Of course, I would have a hard time explaining to friends what I do for a living...
I give this comic...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

Jeni said...

The Bullet Points is a GREAT comic, and Neal and Jay are geniuses. Thanks for the review!!